Sunday, May 10, 2009

My First Mother's Day

Can't believe first of all that I'm even a mother!! You know, as a little girl you think about your wedding day and you play house and you play with your baby dolls and pretend to be everything that your mother is!! I always pictured myself married with several children and now here it is!!! It's pretty amazing - it's an amazing feeling and an amazing responsibility!

I woke up at the usual time this morning - about 6:30 to 7:00 - and fed my sweet boy a bottle! Morning is my favorite time of day. Wyatt is the sweetest little guy in the morning! You peek at him in the crib when he first wakes up and he has the BIGGEST smiles! I just love it! So I fed him about 6:45 and then we played and laughed until about 8:00. I was on call this weekend, so I turned the pager over to start my day. We didn't make it to the Lord's Supper or Sunday school this morning - we were all a bit sleepy. That's no excuse, but what happens sometimes. David had to work today and so he was not able to join us for church. Wyatt and I finally made it to the Family Bible Hour and enjoyed Mr. Ken's message (even though it wasn't on mothers). It's been a pretty quiet afternoon. I've done some organizing and cleaning -- all in a day's work for a wife and mother!!

I got the sweetest presents from my parents - a sweet Willow figurine that is of a mother holding a little baby!! So sweet and precious! I also got a hoop and arm and some more monogramming fonts for my embroidery machine "from Wyatt" (but it was really from my Dad - he is the most thoughtful man)! It was such a special time of being honored with gifts! Who would have thought that you get gifts for giving life and being a mom!!

I wanted to take a paragraph or so to thank my mother! She is the sweetest, most giving mother that anyone could ever have! She is so giving of her time and of herself! Let me tell you a bit about her. My mother was very young when she had me. She was newly married and only a high school diploma. She stayed home and raised me until about the time I went into third grade. She then got a job working as a paraprofessional - working in the same school that I attended. All the time she was working, she took care of me and had supper on the table - every night!! She was my class' room mother and even coached cheerleading at our house; she took care of my sick grandmother until she passed...She did it ALL!! When I was in middle school, my mom went back to college to get her degree in Elementary Education and became a teacher! What a proud day - when you can show your child just what you CAN accomplish!! She didn't stop there and now has her Specialist Degree in Leadership!! I'm so proud of her!! My mom is my best friend and my hero (both she and my dad)!! I have seen her persevere through trials and really put all of her trust in God!! She is a prayer warrior and woman of faith! I have the BEST parents EVER!! There are not any parents more supportive and loving than mine and I am so thankful for them. As I ponder the kind of mother I hope to be - I want to have all of the traits and characteristics that my mom has!! Now that I'm a mom and she's a grandmother, I am so thankful that she belongs to me!! She is so wonderful with Wyatt and loves him with all her heart! Thank you for loving him, Momma!! I love you!!

I also want to take this chance to thank my mother-in-law! She is such a wonderful lady and the best mother-in-law anyone could ever dream of! Mrs. Barbara is one of those ladies that just "has it together." She is always organized and is always so very thoughtful. I have never heard her say a mean word about ANYONE and I'm convinced she doesn't have a mean bone in her body! I often ask David why he married me - I'm not half as nice as Mrs. Barbara! She is such a wonderful cook and the best seamstress I know!! Her devotion to her family is so evident in all of her thoughts and actions. I once heard a lady say this about Mrs. Barbara - "Barbara is frugal with herself." What a wonderful way to describe someone - she is so giving that she is not really thinking about what she wants all the time, but more about what others want! That's definitely her! I've seen her patience as she is now caring for her elderly father - without complaining!! She has placed her faith in the Lord and is truly woman of God!! I'm so glad that Wyatt has you as his Mimi!! I love you, Mrs. Barbara!!

To all of you who are mommies, Happy Mother's Day! You deserve to be recognized!!

1 comment:

  1. My Sweet Melissa,
    Thank you for those sweet remarks, you really know how to touch my heart. I do love you and Wyatt with all of my heart and being. Thank you for letting me do so. Thank you for letting me and Daddy spend as much time with Wyatt as you do. He certainly does bring joy to us and completes our family. I knew that you were special from the moment I laid eyes on you and you sure do prove me right. You are a great mother to Wyatt and your love for him shows with every little thing you do for him. Thank you for letting me and Daddy share your life with David and Wyatt. Happy 1st Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete